Join us on our journey to making this ugly-split level a home that we can learn to love, one DIY project at a time.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Kitchen

Phase 1:

The Cabinets
The biggest and most dramatic change made was the color of the cabinets.  I wanted black to match my old country hutch so I bought two cans of paint and viola.  The entire feel of the room was changed.
Dan chose the hardware...  Not my pick AT ALL.  In fact I hate these handles.  Oh the things we do for love.  But I did try to country it up by adding knobs to all of the drawers and some of the cabinets.  Not sure if this mix fits in with the standards of today's interior design, but I am pleased.
Within this phase we also replaced the stove/hood, ice box, and dishwasher.  And though buying appliances is expensive, we were able to make it work somehow.  All pieces were clearance and together cost us less than 1,300.00, which is a bargain!
Oh and my dearest hubby was able to take out that ceiling fan and install can lights.  Ladies here is some advice when it comes to marriage:  Fall in love with someone handy.  :)

Phase 2:

So I am in love with canisters.  Especially homemade mason jar-ish ones.  I couldn't find any at the store (TJ Maxx:  for some reason I can always find what I am looking for there)  So I decided to give it a go and make my own.  First I looked for large mason jars at hobby lobby and I found that they were super expensive.  I can't remember the exact price, but I'm thinking it was somewhere around 15 bucks per large jar.  And I wanted three! 

I decided that was just too much money in the end and I went home.  Then I had a brilliant idea.  I would make them out of pickle jars.  They are huge and they are only 3 dollars at Walmart. 

So I bought three pickle jars from Walmart ($3 each), three clearance plastic black knobs from the hardware store ($1 each), and a can of cheap matte finish black spray paint ($1)

Next I peeled the rubber seal from the bottom.  Boiled water and soaked the lids and jars to remove the smell.  Ran them through the dishwasher about a dozen times and finally the pickle smell was removed.  (It may have been worth it just to break down and buy the expensive jars to skip this step all together, but what would be the fun in that?)

Then I painted the lids, poked the screw through the center of them and tightened on the knob.  And bada-bing-bada-bang!  They were done and looking fancy.

Later I decided I would add some numbers to the front to make them more whimsical.  I dig it.  I did this by printing numbers (using my plain old Lexmark printer) onto window decal paper.  You can buy it from Staples for about 10 bucks for 15ish sheets. BUT the ink does wipe off with water so I put the inked decal on the jar and then covered it with a clear decal to protect it.  The numbers were just made in Word.  The font is called Fangsong.

 Additionally, I found these other awesome white canisters at the thrift for 2 bucks a piece.  I printed some labels that I found through google search for 'label printables' and 'canister labels.'  (There are some super cute ones)

Then I added font via Picasa (a free picture editing program) and modge podged it onto the fronts.  The font was found in the 'edit in creative kit' option.  It is called Sue Ellen.

Phase 3:

The Island
This is my absolute favorite part of the renovation.  I found this awesome tutorial on building a kitchen island here:
We adjusted the length and width to make it fit our kitchen.  We also connected it different than the original plan so that our legs would stick out from the under trim (gives it more shape).  Otherwise we used the same stain, but our cabinet black paint.  And I absolutely love it!  
Oh and that price this woman gives is totally not correct.  This was just a little over 100 dollars.  Which was not at all what I wanted to spend, but once I saw the finished product I felt it was totally worth it.

Phase 4: 


This was the worst!  I could not find anything I loved for the window (which I think is due to the fact that I hate the window, but that will be another phase...maybe phase 16 or something)  Finally I found this awesome tutorial on turning regular blinds into a roman shade- a FUNCTIONING roman shade.  What?!  Not just three tension rods like most tutorials show?  That's right folks, there is a way...  But it is a tedious and long process. 

All together, the fabric, the glue, and the shade ran a total of 15ish bucks.  That is AMAZING compared to ordering a roman shade from a department store!!

Here is the tutorial peeps, and here is my shade.  It's a bit plain and blase, but that is what I love about it.  And once my industrial light fixture is hanging over that baby (my next phase :), it will be glorious.

Although I love this shade, I was a bit cheap when it came to making loops- which meant buying more fabric and having longer spaces between blind slats.  I wish now that I would have done that because then I would have more loops like the one in the tutorial...But as this was extremely time consuming, I will not be redoing that any time soon.

Phase 5:

Pendant Light
Lucky for me, I have an electrically inclined husband.  This is the result:
We added this awesome pendant light I found on clearance from Home Depot for 15 bucks.  Then we bought one of those can light/pendant converter kits and Dan rewired it to this light.  Over all it was about a 30 dollar project.

A final glance at the kitchen...for now...